Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Terry Jones' Original Introduction

Terry Jones' Original Introduction

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Terry Jones' Original Introduction

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:05 pm

This is the introduction from original Barcelona Street Scam page by Terry Jones. There is some valuable advice here even though it was written back in 1996. Most of the scams are the same, but with some slight modification. For example the "Tourist in Distress" he talks about is probably not operating around town anymore, but there are many other scammers claiming to be tourists in trouble, or someone who is lost etc.

(mirror of Terry's page here)

N A I V E O R I G I N A L I N T R O D U C T I O N

There are a number (any number) of ways to leave some extra cash behind when you visit Barcelona. For example, you could give it to someone on the street. Some of the people who will ask you for money, or be "performing", are true artists, though not exactly in the classical sense of the word...

1. Watch for the sidewalk artists with the huge chalked picture of the Mona Lisa at their knees. Notice their studied faces, how they hold the colored chalk just so. With great deliberation, they add a few strokes here, maybe just a touch there. Then they sit back and look at the work with what is clearly an artistic spirit. If any street performers deserve some of your money, surely it these people, the true and pained artists.

NOT

What a sham. Once you know what's going on, it's incredible to watch these people. If you get up early enough, you'll see them arrive. They bring the Mona Lisa rolled up under their arm. They lay it out in a prominent place on the sidewalk and then tape it down. Then they sit by it ALL DAY with that incredibly good suffering-artist look, always about to add a little color here or there, pausing, considering, choosing another color etc. Perhaps they do deserve your money for being such great fakes, but certainly not for being artists.

2. A short, tanned, flustered woman with sunglasses and a big birth mark on her face approaches you and asks desperately if you speak German. Even though you say "no, not really" or can even manage "nur ein bissen", she manages to convey to you that her bags have just been stolen. Her papers are gone and she has no money whatsoever. She's a tourist and she needs to go to the police. She's very polite and perhaps somewhat disheveled. She says "entshuldigen" (excuse me) after every sentence and is generally very apologetic. You know about the Mona Lisa Scam, but this woman is in a desperate position and really needs your help. The right thing, the good thing, the Christian thing to do is to give her some money, maybe all your money.

UH HUH

She's lying! I know for sure because this woman approached me in Madrid and then, a few months later, approached Ana when we were walking to the office in Barcelona. There was no doubt it was the same woman, though she (very apologetically) denied having been in Madrid. You don't have to believe everything I say though, feel free to give her your cash. Since then I've seen her twice, always with that worried just-robbed look, wandering the streets: in search or her recently lost baggage, or yet another gullible tourist? You be the judge.

3. She's not the only only.

Susan There are at least two other women doing more or less the same thing. One is tall with long straight brown hair, silver (I think) thin-rimmed glasses, and watery eyes. Your eyes would water too if your bags had been stolen as many times a day as this women's have been!

This one speaks English, and is often to be seen wandering the Ramblas around Liceu, or near the Jaume I metro stop on Via Laietana, always in search of her bags. I have been approached by her at least 4 times. I think she knows me now, because the last time I told her she'd already asked me several times, and since then we have not spoken. I should try to get an interview with her, to post to the world here.

After reading this page, Nick Farnworth was on the alert. He thought quickly and caught her on film! He sent me the image on the left and these words: Thanks to your page I avoided being duped by the "robbed" woman near Liceu. She approached me twice in 2 days. Both times she had "just been robbed" and wanted cash for a meal. She has an American accent, about 50 years old, with long hair in a pony tail down to the middle of her back. and wears oval glasses and a "worried" expression. The second time I told her she had already approached me and I asked if I could take her photo. Needless to say she shot off. So I have a photo of her from the back if you want it for the page. It's taken from the rear, but is unmistakably her. At least you'll be able to tell if that was her. If you want the big version of this photo, here it is. For even more on this woman, see below.

The other woman I know of only from my good friend Emily, who got the royal treatment and came away 1,000 pesetas (about US$7) poorer, but feeling damned good about it. In this case, the poor woman, who Emily says was French, had suffered the same fate, and asked for money for a pension for the night, just for one night so she could get out of Barcelona the next day. They went to a pension, and bargained with the friendly owner (undoubtedly in on the deal) for a cheap room. They tried to get 2,000 from her, but in the end she only gave them 1,000. Emily said that afterwards she thought it might have been a scam because the man who ran the place started to haggle over room prices before they'd even told him what they wanted. Also, the woman's bags were plastic bags, from a supermarket. Smells kinda fishy to me too!

ONE WONDERS

To what extent the petty crime rate in Barcelona would drop if all the con artists wandering the streets claiming their bags had been stolen were subtracted from the statistics. Maybe no-one in Barcelona has ever actually had their bags stolen.

4. You see an excited crowd of people gathered around a man who's hiding a pea under one of three cups on a table. A man wins 5,000 pesetas (US$40) and you knew where the pea was too. Another man plays and he wins too. Again, incredibly, you knew where the pea was. That's 10,000 you could have won in a few minutes. They play again, and this time when the shuffling man looks away briefly, a man lifts up a cup to make sure the pea is under there, it is. They put their hands on that cup and lay down more money. They see your curiosity and beckon you to join. You resist because you've heard this is really a scam. Hell, you even read about it on the web someplace before you left home. They win again. Another man comes up and he loses, but then he wins it back. Both times you knew where the pea was. This is plain crazy, how can anyone lose? You reach for your cash...

WHOAH!

Keep your hat on. Unless you want to throw your money away, just watch the show but don't play. All the people playing are ringers who are in on the scam. If you manage to see a game like this being set up, they all come from different directions and arrive at the game as if by chance. They make lots of noise and many people get drawn into the circle of watchers. The enthusiastic ringers encourage everyone to play. Eventually someone comes along who does. The shuffler looks away, the ringer lifts the cup to confirm where the pea is and puts their hand on the cup, the innocent victim knows where the pea is, the shuffler looks back, apparently noticing nothing. For one reason or another, the victim looks away, there's plenty of ways to distract someone, the shuffler shuffles like crazy, the victim perhaps doesn't even notice this, the pea is gone. So too the money.

The aftermath of these games is also interesting. We're conditioned to associate some sense of permanence with such a game or with people selling things. I'm not sure what it is, but when you see one of these games disappear in about 3 seconds flat, you wonder what just happened. The victim gets angry and the shuffler simply puts the cups into his (her?) pocket and walks away swiftly. The "table" proves to be a cardboard box, which collapses. The victim goes after the shuffler but the ringers are on hand to dissuade and delay while the shuffler disappears down the steps into the metro. A few minutes later, another ringer walks off in another direction with the table top and cloth. One minute they're there, and a few seconds later they've simply vanished. There's no sign of any game, the noise has stopped, the onlookers are dispersing, the victim is wondering what the hell happened. Even when you're just watching and you know what's going on, it's still hard to believe how quickly the whole thing comes and then disappears.

5. You're wandering down the Ramblas, minding your own business, when some young attractive person thrusts a coupon into your hands. It's a buy one, get one free deal for Pans & Company, who make quite good fresh rolls and other things. Sounds like a good deal. You put it into your pocket and remind yourself that the next time you're feeling hungry, you'll visit Pans to have a heapin' helpin' of their hospitality.

THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK

A couple of days later, you arrive, starving, at the Pans restaurant and ask for two of their biggest, juiciest, offerings. "But this coupon has expired" they politely explain. You examine the coupon closely; it expired over three months ago! What's the deal? You explain in broken Spanish that you just got the coupon two days ago and that there must be some mistake. No, we're sorry, this coupon has expired. You change your order to one big juicy thing and hand over your money. You're paying just as much as you had expected to pay, you just missed out on the freebie. Bummer.

In fact, you've been had. They gave you an old coupon deliberately, and it got you into their store. When the deal didn't go through, instead of leaving, you cough up your money without thinking too much. It's a scam I tell you, and somebody should do something about it. Besides making a web page that is. I got stung by this one, but it wont happen again. I'll go to Pans when and if I feel like it. Not when they lure me there with a lie. Besides, Bocatta makes much better food.

6. OK. You're minding your own business sitting in a restaurant near the door. It's a corner seat and you can see out the window. Your bag is on the chair next to you where you can see it, because you've heard about street scams in Barcelona. A guy taps on the window outside and you look up. He motions to his watch and gives you a questioning look. Do you have the time?

I DON'T THINK SO...

At the same moment, by some unfortunate coincidence, another guy has appeared on your other side. He's reaching for your bag while you do a dumb-show pantomime to the guy needing the time, who (another unfortunate coincidence) turns out to be short-sighted, hard of hearing, and has no languages in common with you.

I nearly fell for this one. Ah it was so close, I couldn't believe it. I, the author of these fabbo Barcelona Street Scams pages. What did happen is another story, culminating in a spitting match of all things! Not only does this bastard try to steal my bag, but he gets mad at me when I catch him and tell him to fuck off, and, to top it all off, he spits at me.

7. Once again I nearly got done! It's amazing how good these people are.

I was on the metro with Ana coming back from a film at about 1am. We were only going 2 stations, so we stood at the doors, facing outwards. At Barceloneta, two guys got on and stood beside Ana (I was on the other side of her). One was just behind her right shoulder, and the other was to her right. I was immediately watching them very closely, because they looked exactly like the kind of people you see trying to steal bags.

I was really watching them! There was no-one standing anywhere near us. I was so careful I even looked to see if I could see all their hands. They were talking away, I suppose in Arabic, one guy touching the other's jacket and making some comments. I thought to myself, "hmmmm, that jacket looks out of place on that guy, I wonder if it was stolen." Then I thought "come on, just because these guys look like just another pair of petty thieves doesn't mean they are, they can't help how they look."

So it went. I watched them quite literally every second of the trip to the next stop (less than 2 minutes).

TO MY GREAT SHOCK

as we went to get off at Jaume I, Ana jumped as though she had been bitten. Her black wallet fell to the floor of the metro. I couldn't believe it. She yelled at the two guys, who immediately looked extremely taken aback and said "what? what?" She grabbed her wallet and we got off. They stayed on.

It's SO hard to get around your upbringing and background and really see immediately that these guys are guilty as sin. As soon as they protest and claim complete innocence, you somehow feel in the wrong. Other passengers are just looking at you wondering what you're shouting about. You know you're right, but you have no strength of conviction. Then the train doors close and they're gone. Of course the realization soon sinks in that of course you were just being robbed. That wallets simply do not jump out of backpacks and onto the floor of the metro.

Once again, you've been had, or nearly so. I was amazed, simply amazed. I'd watched them, I'd even counted their hands (and I realized later that I had only counted to 3 and not worried about the 4th). Once again I had simply walked away from two blatant thieves. Once again I had been too shocked and somehow doubting (or something) to do anything about it when they started to protest their innocence. Unbelievable.

If you wear one of those simple in-fashion backpacks with a fold over top that clips down, you might want to watch it!

8. The other Saturday I was out walking around the bottom of the Ramblas around noon. I noticed a group of about 4 tourists ahead of me, obviously American, aged between 50 and 60. Probably enjoying their retirement. I also noticed a group of 2 or 3 young guys hanging around behind them. From the look of them I knew that something was about to go down.

The young guys were looking about, just wandering along behind the tourists. I stepped a few paces to the left to get a better view, and also to be out of the way.

Then it began. I don't have a very clear picture of what they were going to do, or even of what happened. I understand now why witness accounts of events are so unreliable. Briefly, I saw them come very close behind the tourists. One of them bent down very low, as if he was trying to touch his ankle, or one of theirs. They were going for some shopping bags carried by the tourists. At that point I knew that if I didn't do something quite fast it would all be over. So I shouted and moved towards them quickly.

They knew right off that the game was up. Two of them (or was it only one?) slinked off (or is it slunk?) behind some stalls. The third (or was it only the second?) gave me that barefaced "what are you shouting about?" look that I have come to know - that caught-in-the-act-but-hey-I'm-totally-innocent look. I shouted pretty loudly and aggressively, something I seem quite good at, and have an odd pride in - despite having nothing to compare it with.

Mainly my commotion seemed to get the attention of the tourists, who looked at me sideways. A man in the group said "See, that's what I was saying" which I took to mean he had been warning them of thieves (not of shouting idiots like me). A woman in their group looked at me oddly. I said "you need to be careful" (in English). She seemed then to understand and said thanks. I kept walking, thinking how easy it is to spot the people who perpetrate (or attempt to) these petty crimes. In my experience, they all look the same.

9. I was walking down Via Laietana the other night, quite close to my office. Towards me came two guys. Shortly after I passed them, they said something to each other and ran across the street (back in the direction they had come) towards the cars stopped at the traffic signal. They ran to opposite sides of a small white car. The one on the near side opened a door and tried to get in. The one going for the far side didn't make it in time. The lights went green and the car drove off. The guy on the near side only managed to get partially into the car and gave up the attempt.

Innocent as I am, I thought "Oh, they saw a friend and were jumping into the friend's car for a ride". I expected to see the car pull over and the friends to get in. Well, if you haven't guessed yet,

I'M A NAIVE IDIOT

Of course the white car didn't stop. Of course they weren't friends. The car drove off and the two guys continued walking up Via Laietana in their original direction, on the other side of the street.

I have no doubt they had spotted someone who looked vulnerable in a car, surely a lone woman. Very likely they would have simply robbed her and nothing more.

Once again I prove to be naive. But this case seemed to go beyond the typical snatch and run petty crime around here. What could be safer for those guys? Simply get into a car, make the driver drive a few blocks and then pull over. Empty her bag at your leisure, get out and walk away. Brazen, simple, well hidden, and effective.

So I have another tip, something I hate to have to say: lock your car door when you drive!

10. Here's another car story, while I'm at it.

A year ago or so, I found the remains of someone's diary and address book outside my front door on Calle Leona. I gave it to Ana and she called a number she found inside. It belonged to a young French woman who lived nearby and who had recently been robbed (surprise, surprise).

I arranged to meet her to return her diary (which we'd all read in the meantime, it was great!). I asked her what had happened and she told me she'd stopped her car in Plaza del Pi (I wouldn't even know how to get a car in there) when two guys had come up to her. They said there was something odd with her back wheel, and that she might want to take a look. One of them even went around the back of the car to help her see where the problem might be....

NOT REALLY A GOOD IDEA

Of course while she was there, the other guy was helping himself to the contents of the back seat, which included her handbag. He had surely walked off casually before the two at the back even got close to finding the problem. Some car problems can be so elusive.

11. Last weekend I sat and lay in the sun talking with Ana in the lovely Parque de la Ciutadella. It's not really heavily touristed, but there are clearly many people there who are tourists. Ana had her flat blue crime magnet of a backpack/purse with her, and was lying back on it. At some point I lay beside her and she sat up, so I made her tickle the inside of my ear with a stick. Then it occurred to me that she was no longer lying on her bag and that it was behind her (and I) and more exposed than it should be. So I reached behind her and moved it between us.

I MUST BE LEARNING

About a minute or two later, I became aware of two voices quite close by. I twisted my neck round and saw two guys sitting on the pedestal of a statue a few metres away. They spoke just a little, not in Spanish, in quiet and deep voices. How had they gotten there? Why hadn't I heard them earlier? It's all so obvious in hindsight of course.

A couple of minutes later they got up and casually sauntered off. One started to talk to two women near us, and then left them. Only at this point did it really sink in how close we had come (again), and that these guys were looking for unsuspecting people trying to relax in the park. They walked off in another direction and soon split up, one walking about 20 metres from the other. It became very clear that they were looking for opportunities to steal. The leading guy walked very slowly past and close to someone lying down near a tree about 50 metres from us while the other guy looked on. Then they continued their stroll through the park.

When someone comes up to talk to you in the park, it might be a good idea to look behind you. This advice probably applies to several places in Barcelona, definitely including Las Ramblas and Plaza Real.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Re: Terry Jones' Original Introduction

Postby mithanbabag on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:38 am

1) Read up on the valuable information in these pages.
2) Don’t look like a tourist (fanny pack, camera slung around neck, safari gear). Do you dress like a tourist back home? If you did, don’t you think you would be a target for the scammers in your town? Use your dome folks.
3) Watch out for distractions. Scammers work in teams and will try to distract you so an accomplice can snake your bags. For example, one will act “lost” and ask for directions. You yourself might be distracted, looking at your map, trying to read the arrival/departure marquee in a train station, etc. Thieves will lurk in these kinds of areas and pounce on your belongings the moment they see an opening.

What do they look like?
There is no fixed answer to that. A lot of people on these pages will claim they are gypsies, Moroccans, South Americans and Eastern Europeans. The fact is it is impossible to tell who they are based on their ethnicity. In fact, a lot of scamsters disguise themselves in order to throw off tourists. One infamous example is the Fake American ringers at a shell game. I will say one thing though, for some reason a lot of the kids snatching bags around the center wear track suits. They must buy them in the gypmeister uniform store.

What is a “gypmeister”? Is that racist?
It comes from the words “to gyp”, which means "to rip off" or "steal" in some shady underhanded way, and “meister” which is kraut for "master". The world’s best

gypmeister is Swedish guy who makes a living by delighting huge audiences with his gypmeister techniques.

Re: Terry Jones' Original Introduction

Postby fbarraza28 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Moncler Outlet
Air Jordan Shoes
Pandora Charms
Adidas NMD XR1
Pandora
Valentino Outlet
Adidas Yeezy Boost 350
Kate Spade Handbags
Bottega Veneta Handbags
Pandora