Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Young Policeman Gets Scammed

Young Policeman Gets Scammed

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Young Policeman Gets Scammed

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:37 pm

Contributed by René Dijkhof on 28 July 2005:

This is actually a very funny story. I went to Barcelona in the fall of 2001 with my brother and parents. At the moment the whole world had two minutes of silence for the casualties of the 9/11 disaster, we were taking a small intercontinental flight from Holland to Barcelona. You can imagine the tension onboard, especially since the cockpit door wasn't closed and the toilet was behind the cockpit. Everyone who went to the toilet became the subject of extreme scrutiny. Anyway, Barcelona. It's a beautiful city! We were walking over the Ramblas and I was amazed at all the people who were gathered around some people doing a nice trick. My little brother is a young policeman and I asked him about pickpockets and scams. We walked along and he told me about all kinds of schemes. Then we saw your nr.4, the pea-scam, which we knew was a scam. We watched for a while and the guy was moving his hands very slowly. We started guessing and we were correct all the time. When my brother pointed at the cup to tell me which one he thought the pea was under, they all responded and asked us to bet. We were certain about the pea, so we paid. Instead of lifting the cup with the pea, the dealer lifted another cup and removed it! We protested but they all spoke Spanish quickly. Now there were only two cups and now he was moving his hands at triple speed. We guessed incorrectly of course. We had lost 50 dollars in 30 seconds. Then suddenly the whole scheme dissapeared like you said. Very organised and quick. Afterwards I laughed at the irony of the situation.. I asked my brother about cons and he got conned within 10 minutes.

On our way back to our appartment, we we're taking the subway. Somewhere in a small part of the underground a group of five or six men run towards us, laughing, as if they were running away from some kind of childhood prank. While they ran past us, they came real close to us and although I didn't feel anyone actually touching me, I'm quite positive they were trying to distract and grab anything worthy. Too bad for them we all wear belts with our wallets.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Re: Young Policeman Gets Scammed

Postby ClaireO on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:32 am

Police and news agencies are reporting an increased number of door-to-door frauds across the nation. There may be a bigger number of operators attempting to rip people off, so be wary of any person knocking on the door and trying to sell you stuff.
ClaireO

Return to Barcelona Scams