Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Joy Girls that Pickpocket - A Ramblas Story

Joy Girls that Pickpocket - A Ramblas Story

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Joy Girls that Pickpocket - A Ramblas Story

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:40 pm

Contributed by Travis Winfrey on 4 August 2005:

There is one distraction method used by pickpockets that I haven't seen here. I was walking on Las Ramblas late at night to see what it was like, despite the advice in the guide books. I was confident that my years of living in New York would be enough to keep me out of trouble. When I was out of the worst of the neighborhood, a young, attractive woman came up to me and asked me in heavily accented English if I was British. I replied in Spanish that, no, I was an American. Despite signalling that I understood Spanish, she kept talking to me in a garbled mix of English and Spanish. Also, common to many of the other stories on this site, what she was saying didn't really make sense. Perhaps keeping victims confused with a meandering line of patter is a effective technique for these pickpockets and con artists.

She did, however, finally tell me clearly enough that she was a hooker. I said that I wasn't interested, and moved to pass her. Without warning, she cupped my crotch, and gave it a brief, gentle massage while repeating her offer! Interesting technique: for that moment, I simply could not think! I stammered that I was truly uninterested, and moved on towards the hotel.

A few steps away, a friendly male came up to me to tell me that the woman had been reaching around to the back of my jeans while I was completely distracted with the goings-on in the front. I couldn't say if he was right or wrong: she could have done anything in that couple of seconds without my noticing it.

After a short conversation, he offered to go get a drink with me. I've never known if he was a confederate who was looking for me to quickly check where my wallet really was, or if he really was an ordinary Barcelonan. My guess at the time was that he was crooked, too, and so I returned to the hotel, where I had left my wallet on my bed as a matter of safety.

It's a shame about all the crime there. It's a lovely city; I'd love to go back.

(this is on the rise lately ... Kovaks)
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams