Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - A close call at the airport

A close call at the airport

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

A close call at the airport

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:47 pm

Contributed by Sandra on 3 September 2005:

I first arrived in Barcelona on a boat from Tenerife in 1970. A Spanish family and I stood looking over the railings at the crowd milling at the dockside below. "You're in Barcelona now", said my Spanish friend, "Watch your bags, they will come up behind you and slice through the strap with a razor".

But I experienced no thefts at all during the following year. I taught English at the University, lived in the Ensanche and loved the city. Things were equally quiet during the following year when I returned for a long visit, staying in the Plaza del Pino. The annoyance in those days was the men who would try and 'cop a feel' as you walked past - especially if you strayed near any dodgy areas.

I and three family members returned for a short holiday in 2002. Having read further warnings of pickpockets with razor blades, we were careful. It was Easter and the Ramblas were relatively empty and nothing untoward happened at all

EXCEPT when we first arrived at the airport.

Now I am a very careful lady and always keep in close physical proximity to any of my personal possessions. My husband is less cautious and, to my amazement, has managed to travel all over the world and never had anything stolen. But at Barcelona airport, he collected the key to the hire car and when we had found the right car, he put down his luggage in order to open the boot.

Well, I would have put any luggage of mine down between my legs and the car but my husband just put it down and then walked forward to open the boot. I looked around and a young guy was coming very swiftly towards us with his eye fixed on my husband's shoulder bag sitting on the ground just behind him. I managed to grab it seconds before the thief. The others barely saw him as he sped past and moved off down the rows of hire cars looking for more likely targets.

I'm contributing this incident because I didn't spot a similar one amongst the many other 'beware' stories.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams