Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - "Barcelona, Never Again" (bumping technique & more)

"Barcelona, Never Again" (bumping technique & more)

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

"Barcelona, Never Again" (bumping technique & more)

Postby KOVAKS on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:00 am

Contributed by Patrick Taylor on 12 April 2006:

Our daughter is enrolled in the *Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine* and on a recent visit with her we decided to take her, via easyJet, on a long weekend visit to Barcelona. We are Canadians from Toronto and were warned about Liverpool being rife with crime and violence so were on our guard. We were in Liverpool for twenty three days, less the four days we spent in Barcelona. We were never victimised and, after the initial apprehension, settled in quite comfortably into the easygoing and friendly ambiance of Liverpool. We never once felt threatened and once, when a beggar approached us, a local lady chased her away and warned us about her and "the likes of her".

Contrast the above to our four day visit to Barcelona which was costly in property loss, emotion and physical health. As a precautionary measure I carry my cash and credit cards separate from other documents and separate from each other. Our first experience was with the cab to our hotel; our documents and my blood pressure medication were in my hand luggage. We paid the cab driver outside our hotel and he emptied our bags onto the sidewalk, hand luggage first with the heavier bags on top of the small bags. It when he was driving away that our daughter noticed that my carry-on bag, with our travel documents and medication, was missing. Of course we hadn't noted the cab drivers number. We had $370.00CAD taken from our room safe, my wife had her purse, with it's contents, stolen at the Familia Sagrada and our daughters backpack had been sliced open with a razor and her money and travel documents stolen. On our last night we were sitting outside a restaurant enjoying a quiet drink when three youths approached, obviously slightly inebriated, as they passed our table one pushed another who fell against our table and knocking my wife and I to the ground. It was a scam. My wife's gold *Maple Leaf* necklace and her *Geneve* solid gold watch was taken, and not to gently. My wife suffered a dislocated shoulder and abrasions to her face neck and wrist.

We will visit our daughter in *"violent"* Liverpool but never again will we visit Barcelona.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams