Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Team of Scammers on the Metro

Team of Scammers on the Metro

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Team of Scammers on the Metro

Postby KOVAKS on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:21 am

Contributed by Kenny Williamson on 3 May 2006:

I was interested reading yours and the other people's experiences. Unfortunately this was after our two experiences on our trip to Barcelona.

The first one was pure stupidity, I still can't believe it but we fell for the ball under matchboxes scam. The accomplices were so enthusiastic and I couldn't believe how easy it looked.

The second was much nastier. My wallet was in my front trouser pocket which was quite deep and also pretty tight and I thought there was no way anyone could get at it without me knowing. This was successful for the whole visit until we started our journey home. We arrived at the Placa Espanya metro station platform with two suitcases and sat them on the ground in front of us. I did my customary wallet check by patting my pocket and it was still there at this time. All I know for sure is that it wasn't there three minutes later when we got onto the train but I've got a few suspects:

The blind man who made his way to us and was tapping his white stick round our suitcases.

The young guy with the mullet hairstyle who my wife thought was staring at us more than once on the platform.

The crowd of people who were trying to get in our train door seemed to be much bigger than at any other door. A real pain if you've got two big suitcases to lift onto the train.

The guy who was standing on his own right beside me when I noticed the wallet was missing but then later sat down and started talking to another guy who had a big bag with him.

I suppose there is the possibility that it spontaneously jumped out of my pocket by itself but I doubt it.

I'd love to know who it was and when and how they did it. It makes you wonder how many people are at it in Barcelona if this could happen randomly in just one of the many metro stations miles from the centre of town.

So I lost about 200 Euros cash and three credit cards. I managed to get these stopped within an hour but have still to find out if any of them were used. I've always felt a bit uneasy that hardly anyone in France and Spain requires Pin entry and they always give you the card back before you sign the slip so there is no way they can check the signature.

Anyway, we loved all our other experiences of Barcelona and won't let it spoil our memory of the holiday.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams