Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - The "You dropped something" Scam

The "You dropped something" Scam

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

The "You dropped something" Scam

Postby KOVAKS on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:27 am

Contributed by Myra Reneau on 26 May 2006:

I just left Barcelona yesterday and feel inclined to give you my story. Like most, we knew to be careful and kept our money and credit cards in a chest pouch. Our hotel near the airport, Tryp Hotel, was very nice. We arrived early and requested an early check-in. We were assured that in no way could this happen - NOON was the earliest. So, we proceeded to one of their comfortable couches. We rolled our large suitcases right up to the coffee table in front of us. Since the hotel was wi-fi I pulled out my laptop and started writing home. My purse was stacked on the laptop bag on the coffee table RIGHT in front of me. People came and went and all was well. All of the sudden I felt a tap on my right shoulder and the gentlemen is speaking a foreign language to me. He is pointing to a random pile of candy which appears to have "dropped" from my belongings. The light bulb went off as his accomplice leaned over me and grabbed my purse. Luckily, he did not run and I alerted my husband immediately. He jumped up and gave chase and got my bag back. The accomplice was crouched over across the room so if we did indeed give chase we might chase the 'wrong man'. I only had my costume jewelry in my purse so the airlines wouldn't lose it. Still yet, I didn't want to part with any of it. We had been so careful the whole trip and felt so stupid afterwards. I reported it to the hotel and they cared very little. No one helped my husband either while this was occurring. We were both yelling "Thief". After I reported it to the front desk and asked again for an earlier check-in since I had now almost been robbed in their lobby, the answer was still "No".
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams