Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Fake Policemen on the Loose

Fake Policemen on the Loose

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Fake Policemen on the Loose

Postby KOVAKS on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:29 am

Contributed by Tim Vellacott on 29 May 2006:

Firstly - good site!

Secondly here's what happened to me yesterday: a subtle variant on the drug-dealer scam.

I was at a street corner two blocks from Plaza Catalunya - a tourist holding map says he is hungarian and asks for directions to the plaza. While i am explaining "you're here and it's over there" he's still fumbling with his map; all of a sudden two other people turn up, declare themselves to be plain-clothes policemen (including showing badges) & demand to see both ID and money (because there's a lot of drug dealing in the area). being trained to obey instructions from police, and on the plausibility of the argument I do so - & everything is fine after I present the currency exchange receipt. Meanwhile the one I'm not talking to has told the hungarian to take a hike. all's fine, They tell me "Be careful, don't talk to strangers, there are a lot of crooks in this town". I go away, and it's not until the evening that I think "I'm sure I had more money than that", & subsequently remember I had two twenty-pound (sterling) notes among my euros when I was discussing with the "policemen" and now only have one. So the scam is that I retained enough notes (both euro and sterling) to maintain the deception.

On balance since I was on my own against three I'm not sure what else I could have done; it's much less than the average swindle, although crooks posing as policemen is rather insidious. The moral of the story is (regrettably) don't talk to anyone you didn't talk to first.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams