Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - "Mentally deranged" Scam and the Nightclub Accomplice

"Mentally deranged" Scam and the Nightclub Accomplice

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

"Mentally deranged" Scam and the Nightclub Accomplice

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Contributed by Peter Maxwell:

I had just had dinner at a restaurant about halfway down Las Ramblas. When I had finished I noted that I had 15 minutes to get to the station at Plaza Catalunya where I had to catch the train back to the hotel. Since it was a moderate walk to get there I decided to take the subway, which would get me there much quicker - I didn't want to miss this train as I would have to wait another 30 minutes for the next one, and it was already almost 10 pm.

Fate has strange twists, and I ended up losing far more sleep than if I had simply missed the train. As I was getting on the subway train somebody who I took to be some demonstrator or mentally deprived person or some other weirdo bent down beside me, started shouting and grabbed my ankle, shaking it up and down. There was quite a crush of people at the time and I was completely taken aback, not knowing what to do. This wasn't helped by my slightly inebriated state either. He stopped just as the train was about to go and stepped back onto the platform. 5 seconds later I realised my wallet was missing. It had all been a carefully planned operation to pick my pocket.

Luckily, my passport was back at the hotel, but I lost all the cash I had plus the credit cards, plus all those other cards and things that cost time to get replaced. Since I had cancelled the credit cards as soon as I could, the week after that the bank phoned me to see what, if any, of VISA charges made that day were fraudulent. These robbers were professionals. In the hour between 10 pm, which was when the robbery occurred, and 11 pm, which was when I was able to phone VISA and cancel the card, they notched up over $1000 at a bar/nightclub! Goodness knows what they did, but my suspicion is that the nightclub owner was in cahoots with them and they shared some large cash withdrawal.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams