Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - A Gift of Flowers ... or ...

A Gift of Flowers ... or ...

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

A Gift of Flowers ... or ...

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Contributed by Jamie Weinstein:

I would like to confirm the scam that has appeared on your page involving the gypsy women offering the flowers. My girlfriend and I went to Barcelona from 4/17/98 - 4/25/98 and had the time of our lives. As it happens, the festival of St. George falls on 4/23 so we drank it all in. We were walking on Passeig de Gracia near our hotel when we were approached by 5 gypsy women offering carnations. The one woman holding the flowers approached me and tried to stick a carnation in my lapel. I tried to refuse but at this point they had surrounded us. She asked for 1 peseta and I tried to give her a 100 peseta coin but she kept refusing. She insisted it had to be one peseta. I knew I didn't have a single peseta in my wallet so I didn't bother to take it out but my girlfriend tried to find one. As soon as she made a move toward her pocket, she was surround by them. I started to get alarmed and in hindsight I probably should have taken off with her but they all seemed so nice and my New York instincts were so relaxed that I just watched. While she was looking in the change portion of her wallet for a single peseta, one of the women tried to "help" her. With her right hand, she took her index finger and started poking around. Her left hand, shielded by a piece of paper, was up by the wallet. When my girlfriend couldn't find a peseta we gave back the carnation and started walking. They also started walking away and I suddenly realized what had happened. I asked my girlfriend to check her wallet and sure enough they had stolen 25,000 pesetas (approx. 170 american dollars). I was so infuriated that these people had just ruined our perfect week that I lost it. They were only 20 feet away and hadn't noticed that we realized what had happened. I ran up to the one with the flowers and grabbed her by the shirt. she spun around and almost hit me but stopped. She must have realized I was about to pummel her. One of the other women then thrust a wad of bills into my hand and told me in broken english that I had "dropped" it a few feet back. As I discovered later it was only 20,000 pesetas but I was so relieved that I let it go. They quickly hopped into a taxi and left.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams