Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Don't Fall Asleep

Don't Fall Asleep

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Don't Fall Asleep

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:13 pm

Contributed by Aidan O'Callaghan:

I was lucky enough not to get anything taken nor to not really have any actual attempt of theft made but that was only due to the vigilance of one of my companions. We were there on a very busy weekend last September, U2's pop mart tour was playing at the Olympic Stadium and the Catalonian motor cycle grand prix was on on Sunday. Having been out all night Friday and intending to go to the concert on Saturday evening I needed some rest. We had planned to sleep on the beach but due to a woeful misreading of the metro ended up at Columbus on the Ramblas. We then decided to take refuge outside a Cafe just off the Ramblas on a side street leading to the Gothic Quarter. I soon fell asleep but kept my bag both strapped my shoulder and in my arms. When I woke up my friend told very quietly not to let go of my bag, in fact he had noticed a group of four young moroccans, each standing as if at separate corners of an imaginary square. I subtly caught a glimpse of them all over a couple of minutes and after about ten minutes they realised we had seen them and they started to move a bit but really only rotated position. Thankfully nothing happened but they gave us that look you talk about as we left the cafe. It just felt a little unnerving being watched like that but apart from loosing my bag I never felt in any actual physical danger.

The most unfortunate victim of petty crime I saw in Barcelona was a poor guy who at five in the morning fell asleep on a bench after all the night clubs closed down at the olympic port. Some guy came up stood beside him for a moment and then searched through his pockets till he found his wallet and then had the cheek to stay standing there and a minute or so actually wake the guy up and talk to him. I don't know if they knew each other or what but I couldn't believe such boldness.

Still I have to say that it is one of the most fantastic places I've ever been and having only been there for a weekend I fully intend to return and explore more, fully informed on heaps of scams of course.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams