Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Another Variation of the Pigeon Poop Scam

Another Variation of the Pigeon Poop Scam

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Another Variation of the Pigeon Poop Scam

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 pm

Contributed by Steve Roberts:

Last trip to Barcelona, one of our usual 2-3 visits per year, I experienced a near miss with a pickpocket.

Here's how it went.

We were walking down the Diagonal, stopping in various shops. I had seen a large, Spanish looking man previously, although he had not made any impact other than being tall, with a beard and looking every bit of a foreign tourist due to clothes and map.

Roughly 10 minutes after I first saw him, he reappeared and spoke in Spanish, pointing to some terrible looking stuff that had "appeared" on my wife's dress. I looked like a cross between bird poop and vomit and caused me to become totally focused on how revolted I knew my wife would be if she could see it.

He suggested that we step around the corner to get water and also said that it was on me also.

The only time an alarm bell got through my revulsion with the mess on my wife was when I saw that there was no water and the building was closed for the day.

However, he produced a small bottle of water, suggested that I clean off my wife's dress while he cleaned off my shirt/trousers.

To make a long story short, he hit me very hard as he "cleaned" me and managed to remove my wallet without me knowing it as I was so distracted with the mess.

The ONLY reason that he didn't get away with my wallet was that my 12 year old daughter saw him holding it and asked why he had her dad's wallet.

This brought the scam to an end, he handled it over and left quietly on the assumption that he only wanted to help in the first place.

The whole incident made me sick and I felt so vulnerable, especially as I am quite an "experienced" visitor to Barcelona.

My advice is to stay aware, never let a distraction over-ride ones alarm bells and assume the worst.

Only a 12 year old child and some luck saved me the loss of credit cards, cash, my self esteem and possibly my life had he been violent.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams