Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - A "Helpful" Local with Insider Tips

A "Helpful" Local with Insider Tips

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

A "Helpful" Local with Insider Tips

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

Contributed by Tim Young:

I visited Barcelona in Spring of '99, and I got hit by the "Futbol" scam at the Plaza de Catalunya in front of the Hard Rock. As a precautionary measure, I never exchanged more than $20 US at any one time, so he only got 2,000 pesetas, and two credit cards. Unfortunately for him, he also grabbed my hotel key. Since I was on my way back to the hotel, I knew I had been picked in less than 10 minutes. He was so smooth, I still laugh about my own carelessness.

I experienced another scam that I haven't seen addressed on your website. This one is focused on lone males. I was walking down Las Ramblas about 8:30 in the evening (20:30) when a well dressed man in a blue blazer came along side of me and declared in clear English, "I know you from the hotel!"

Since everyone was new to me (including the people I had come to do business with), I had no reason to doubt him. He pointed to his watch and said, "Time to get off." He asked me what I was doing, and I replied that I was going to eat. He tapped his watch again, and said that it was still too early.

He told me he knew the people at one of the better restaurants, but we would have to go through the back door. We turned at a road (Escudellers Street?) across from the theater, into an area I later found out to be the Barrio Chino - a sort of red light district. We passed a restaurant (that had actually been recommended to me by business associates) with a line of people in front of it, and I followed him through a door covered by a beaded curtain into a bar. At first glance, the door seemed adjacent to the restaurant.

Immediately, the barmaid put two beers on the bar, and a woman slid into the seat next to where I was standing (I didn't even have time to sit!) and asked me to buy her a drink. Lights and sirens went off in my head. I had seen this same scam as a Marine in Okinawa in the '70s. When I asked how much three drinks were, she said "Only 5,000 pesetas." Roughly $ 35 US. I was saved by my policy of never exchanging more than $ 20 US, because they did not stop talking long enough for me to think. The only thing I was sure of was that I did not have 5,000 pesetas.

Frustrated with the incessant chatter, I slid the untouched bottle of beer that had been set in front of me over to the girl, and quickly (and rudely) left the bar.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams