Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - The Classic Tire Pinch

The Classic Tire Pinch

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

The Classic Tire Pinch

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Contributed by Carol Skyrm:

I just read your web page and didn't see the scam that happened to me, so I offer this story:

John and I were driving our rental car by Las Ramblas and decided to pull into an underground garage of a nice hotel so we could check into our hotel on a nearby pedestrian street. We didn't know how parking garages work in Barcelona and it was an expensive lesson. We had not yet even set foot on Spanish soil, since we had driven in from France.

Inside the garage I saw two men hovering in the back, and initially thought they worked there. But quickly I got a bad feeling and insisted that we leave the garage immediately. There was no uniformed attendant. When we tried to leave we were stopped by an automatic gate. In order to get a ticket to get out, you had to go by foot, up the stairs to the second floor, to a machine that dispensed tickets and took payments.

We backed out of the exit way and meanwhile one of the men was gesturing to us. He didn't speak English and we didn't speak much Spanish, but he said we had a flat tire. I said to John that we certainly didn't have a flat tire, but soon he confirmed that we did. I was very wary and locked my door and kept the window up while John got out of the car. He carefully removed our luggage from the trunk to get the spare tire and put it immediately in the back seat. The man stood talking to us and held the flashlight for John, since it was dark in the back of the garage. After awhile I became less wary and rolled down my window about 1/3rd of the way. Then the man said I'd have to hold the flashlight because he had to go. I got out of the car, stood next to my door, but had my back slightly turned. I thought I watched the man leave but I may not have. When I got back into the car my purse, which had been flat on the floor of the car, was no longer there. I don't know how the man got my bag through the partially opened window and walked away with it!

Needless to say, he got my wallet, credit cards, passport, registration papers for the car, a spare set of keys, camera, etc. Within the hour before we notified AmEx and Visa about the credit cards (we felt compelled to move the car), several hundred dollars' worth of cash withdrawals were made on my cards, though they didn't have my pin numbers! And our tire had been slashed -- it was no accident.

People really should know about the parking garage situation. It is common to have no attendants. Every 20 minutes or so a guard walks through, but the thieves probably know the schedule, and garages take no responsibility for robberies.

We experienced two other robbery attempts (of the types described in your examples) in the next two days, but fortunately neither was successful. It made us very uncomfortable for the rest of our time in Spain.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams