Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Sketchy Restauranteurs

Sketchy Restauranteurs

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Sketchy Restauranteurs

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:34 pm

Contributed by Paul Hawcroft:

Hi Terry, Great web site by the way.

I was wondering if you would be interested in an incident that happened to my wife and I in a Chinese restaurant situated on the Ramblas at Easter 2000.

We visited the restaurant as we arrived on the Thursday evening, and had a very good reasonably priced meal for 2. During our meal we witnessed an argument between a solo German tourist and the Chinese staff, it seemed the argument was about the bill. Eventually the German left in an angry and flustered state. The young Chinese guy running the restaurant explained to me that they often had this kind of trouble with tourist. His English was excellent as during the conversation he mentioned that he was Hong Kong Chinese. We left thinking 'what a nice man' and ' bloody German tourists'.

On the Sunday we decided to eat at the restaurant again. After the meal our bill was presented it was around 7,500ptas, I dropped 2 x 5,000ptas notes onto the plate an awaited my change. After a rather lengthy frustrating wait my change arrived it was 1,500ptas. I told the waiter there was a mistake, the only English he seemed to know was "no mistake"! I called over the guy I had spoken to on the Thursday evening to explain to him the problem but to my amazement he could only speak Chinese and Spanish not English. After a heated and animated exchange in Chinese in which we were surrounded and intimidated by the staff, The penny began to drop that this is what had happened to the German tourist. I decided there and then to stand my ground and not get ripped off.The Chinese guy said in broken Spanish that I had paid with 1x 5,000pta note and 2x 2,000pta note and that the cambiar exact.I replied in my very poor broken Spanish that soy pagar 10,000ptas(diez mill) and that he was Hong Kong Chinese and could speak English( usted H.k. Chino y usted habla English)! and then in a very calm firm modulated manner I said in English "if you don't give me 1.000ptas I..WILL...PUT...YOUR..WINDOWS..THROUGH.( sorry to say typical English reaction) at this point he made a hurried till count said there had been a mistake, refunded my money and wished us goodnight.

It would have been explained to anyone in the in the restaurant that they often had this kind of trouble with tourists. But to me it was a well worked scam with all the hallmarks Intimidation, confusion and feigned innocence. The money involved wasn't much but the principle is the same
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams