Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Don't Look Like a Tourist (Rule Number 1)

Don't Look Like a Tourist (Rule Number 1)

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Don't Look Like a Tourist (Rule Number 1)

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:40 pm

Contributed by (no name given):

Hi:

I found your interesting web site from a link on the Fodor's Europe message board. I don't know if you are still adding new stories but I read all your stories and what happened to us the last time we were in Barcelona (this was in 1996) were not mentioned on your web page (similar things but not all that close) I thought you might add our Barcelona pickpocket stories to your site. We were in Barcelona for 1 week and different pickpockets targeted my husband (never me) 3 separate times. I thought it was interesting that they always went after my husband who is a big man and not me (I'm petite ).

Briefly.........one night we were on the Ramblas (in Barcelona) and my husband bought some postcards (a tourist thing which probably alerted the pickpocket) then we walked away...he was walking ahead of me a few paces and a guy tried to stop him by speaking to him in various languages then actually pushing on his shoulder and spitting on him but my husband pushed him back, hard and we quickly left.

A few night later two guys followed us out of a subway car into what turned out to be a deserted underground subway station.........they first whispered things about drugs (in Spanish) then they said they want to help my husband with something but I was already running up the stairs by that point so he quickly followed up the stairs and back at the hotel found they had sprayed shaving cream all over the back of his pants.

Two days later my husband was wearing a big backpack (very top heavy) and we were just coming out of this small mom and pop type store with water bottles in our hands and I see this suspicious looking guy outside move over to the doorway. Before I could say anything he sticks out his foot and trips my husband who fell forward, but luckily didn't hit the ground. Then the guy starts screaming in Spanish at the top of his lungs at my husband and pushing him HARD.......Husband replies in Spanish and tries to sidestep the guy but he keeps getting in husband's face and screaming insults. I look behind me briefly and see the Filipino store owner with a *very* cold look in his eyes standing right behind me, clearly not interested in helping and seemingly in league with the thief. I felt SO scared.......I thought we would be robbed or worse for sure. But I guess there really are guardian angels cause *just then* a police car comes right down this small, quiet side street. The creep took off like a shot when the cops were a block away, and as we were in a rush to catch our train to Paris we didn't speak to the cops (who I doubt would have been of any help anyway).
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams