Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - More Postcards from a Thief

More Postcards from a Thief

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

More Postcards from a Thief

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Contributed by Peter Horsman:

Hello, you have a great site. It should be compulsory reading for anyone visiting this beautiful city! I moved to Barcelona from Holland in the beginning of September. Hardened with living in Amsterdam for 6 years, and being robbed on a number of occasions in Australia, London, Paris and the Netherlands during my travels, I believed I had enough experience NOT to be robbed this time...but I was wrong. My compliments to the thief, I have never seen something as smooth as what this guy did.

I was enjoying our dinner at a great italian restaurant with my girlfriend and a friend when we asked for the bill. We were sitting outside on a terrace in a lovely small square with nobody else around. The bill came, and I got my wallet out of my bag. Reminding myself to be careful, I left my hand on the wallet when I put the wallet on the table. 10 seconds later a guy appears, who wanted to sell us postcards. I kept my hand on the wallet, and told him that we were not interested. He then focussed his efforts on our friend. (I still had my hand on the wallet) Even though we told him at least three times to *&^$# off, he kept trying to sell the cards. I got irritated (which he obviously wanted to happen) and I moved to get up from my chair. This was the moment he waited for! He spread out all of his postcards in front of us, hiding my wallet and trying to show them one more time. At this moment, the restaurant owner comes outside and tells the guy to bugger off. He mumbles something and is obviously irritated. Then he finally wanders off in an alley. I sat down and was amazed about the guys persistence. After 30 seconds I realized the wallet was gone. So I get up and run after the guy. He was gone...He only got 15.000 pesetas and 2 credit cards which I immediately blocked. I was amazed with his talent though! As a final note, Barcelona is really not dangerous at all. I lived in Amsterdam centre for 6 years, and I have seen much more theft including violence there. It seems that the crimes here consists merely of petty theft, without any real violence (knifes, guns, molesting people). I do share the opinion of another reader though: the police was nice and friendly, but why is it so hard to arrest most of these criminals and keep them off the street? Everybody knows where they are and how they look. It cannot be too hard to infiltrate these 'gangs' and arrest people. I am sure it would give this lovely city a much better image.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams