Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Advice from a Victim of the Tire Pinch

Advice from a Victim of the Tire Pinch

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Advice from a Victim of the Tire Pinch

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:47 pm

Contributed by Jeanne Omar:

After a whirlwind tour of France, Monaco & Italy by car (rental from Barcelona) we returned to spend our last day on vacation in Barcelona. Tired and frustrated with the map of the city we were making our way to the street of Las Rambla when we were unwittingly became part of the Las Rambla street scam.

While waiting for the light to turn green a man urgently knocked at the window on the driver's side. My husband was concerned as the man was pounding on the car with his hand near the bottom of the rear door. I yelled at my husband that nothing was wrong with the car but it was too late. He opened his door to see why this man was pounding on the car.

Now someone was knocking on my window frantically trying to tell me that the back door was open in Spanish but I do not speak Spanish so I did not understand. My husband understood and asked me if I had my leather bag in my lap. I turned to look and saw the back door ajar. We then realized that the second member of this scam had reached in and grabbed my leather bag from the back seat with my purse (credit cards & cash) and several electronic devices inside the bag. My husband saw the thieves running toward the stairs of the metro with the black leather bag in hand. Fortunately our passports & plane tickets were still in his nylon bag that the thief had not grabbed from the back seat.

We had a cellular phone with us and immediately called to cancel the credit cards. I flagged down a police car and tried to explain what had just happened. The policemen seemed very nonchalent about the incident and politely led us to the tourist police station. The station had close to 40 people waiting to fill out reports. The wait was estimated at 2 hours (actually it was 2 hours before we were given the paperwork to fill out). I walked nervously about and stopped to speak to anyone that spoke English. An elderly couple from Holland had just arrived today and thieves took the wife's purse with money, credit cards, plane tickets & passports. The thieves had pushed the husband to the ground when he tried to follow them. A couple from the UK had all their money taken from them while they were walking down Las Rambla. A female student traveling alone had her backpack taken. Two different couples speaking German were waiting to fill out their reports. Two very young South African students were there. I heard the police woman asking a Latino gentleman about his address which turned out to be in Barcelona. It seems that not only tourists are targeted by the thieves of Barcelona.

This unhappy ending to our vacation has not completed soured my view of Barcelona but it will a long time before I feel strong enough to brave the streets of Barcelona again.

Here are more recommedations:

Keep your car doors locked at all times. Put everything in the trunk (or your hotel room) that you possibly can do without. Keep anything you must carry under your shirt or jacket in something that zips. Do not carry your wallet in your pockets. Separate your credit cards and cash so if you do get robbed you will still have something left in another secure area. Don't be polite when approached by anyone you don't know-just get away quickly.

Barcelona should consider taking training from Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Phoenix, Arizona. He has posses on horses and bicycles as well as on foot to deter and/or apprehend petty thieves during the Christmas season at the shopping centers in Phoenix. His no-nonsense approach to criminals is well known here. I hope the law enforcement in Barcelona will change their approach so more tourists can enjoy the city of Barcelona in safety.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams