Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - The Bar/Leaflet/Newspaper/Dancing Character Scams

The Bar/Leaflet/Newspaper/Dancing Character Scams

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

The Bar/Leaflet/Newspaper/Dancing Character Scams

Postby hdavis91 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:01 pm

After ten months living in Barcelona, I've become privy to all the tricks pickpockets use to take your belongings...take care!!

The Bar Scam

My friends and I were in a tourist bar near Barceloneta one evening, and had had a few drinks (explaining why we were so naive that night!). A guy came up to us, and started chatting and being friendly to us in English, asking how long we'd been in Barcelona etc. We (wrongly) assumed that he was a tourist like ourselves, and so were friendly in return. The guy then asked if we'd like a beer, to which we said yes, so we ordered four beers, plus one for him. Just after the drinks had arrived, his female 'friend' - accomplice - came over and said in Spanish that another friend wanted him, so the guy bid us farewell and walked off. We were then presented with the bill for not only our drinks, but his as well, and he'd, in his 'friendly gesturing', somehow managed to steal my friends wallet, which was fortunately empty.

The Leaflet Scam

My boyfriend and I were sitting outside a cafe on Rambla de Raval, enjoying a coffee, when a guy came up to us with a fan of leaflets in his hand. My boyfriend's wallet was on the table in front of him, despite my warnings (boys, hey?). The guy came over to our table, and as he was putting a leaflet in front of me, with his other hand, his hand landed on my boyfriend's wallet. Seeing this, and being paranoid, I slammed my fist down onto the stranger, and grabbed the wallet, closely followed by my boyfriend. The guy quickly walked off. Fortunately, nothing was taken, but my boyfriend was embarrassed, saying that 'I didn't think he'd do anything right in front of me!'

The Newpaper Scam

I was on the Metro, line 4, heading to Barceloneta. An obvious American tourist and his friend were talking in loud voices in front of the metro door. A guy stood in front of his, trying to force a newpaper under the mark's foot, to no avail. Being new to the city, I though nothing of it, until the guy stepped off the metro, leaving the Americans on the train. The mark then noticed that his wallet was missing, and watched the pickpocket walking away as the train pulled off.

The Dancing Character Scam

Probably the most stupid yet common scam to fall for. The men outside particularly Catalunya metro on the top of Ramblas, and in front of Deutsch Bank in Placa Catalunya, try to sell you dancing characters who appear to be jumping by themselves in time to the music of their CD player. However, what the mark cannot see is the clear invisible string that is connected to a wheel on the back of the CD player, which is conneced to the top of the characters. So, the mark buys the character for 5 - 10 euros, walks away, and when they get home, they try to reproduce the same effect, and obviously fails.
hdavis91

Re: The Bar/Leaflet/Newspaper/Dancing Character Scams

Postby UnHab on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for your contribution! Same old scams keep in BCN... I've been gone for over a year now and I have to say, the scamsters in BCN are in a class all by themselves!
UnHab

Postby Jonathon on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:38 pm

That last one almost seems too obvious but I guess it works. I'd love to see a video of this one in action as it's kind of hard to picture how it works so well. It's amazing how many scams and scammers there are in Barcelona. I'm glad I found this site so I'll be prepared not only for Barcelona but I'm sure other touristy cities as well.
Jonathon

Postby ricky_ricardo on Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:42 am

The Dancing Character scam is by far the most silly thing I've ever seen, yet people still fall for it. It's almost as if they deserve it!
ricky_ricardo

Postby bobajob on Thu May 26, 2011 6:18 pm

bobajob

Postby Lauren23 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Probably the most stupid yet common scam to fall for. The men outside particularly Catalunya metro on the top of Ramblas, and in front of Deutsch Bank in Placa Catalunya, try to sell you dancing characters who appear to be jumping by themselves in time to the music of their CD player.
However, what the mark cannot see is the clear invisible string that is connected to a wheel on the back of the CD player, which is conneced to the top of the characters.
So, the mark buys the character for 5 - 10 euros, walks away, and when they get home, they try to reproduce the same effect, and obviously fails.
Lauren23

Postby lizamare on Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:21 am

The Dancing Character scam is by far the most silly thing I've ever seen, yet people still fall for it. It's almost as if they deserve it!
download solitaire
lizamare

Return to Barcelona Scams