Cyber Squatting

Scammed somewhere else in Spain? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Cyber Squatting

Postby lenox on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:52 am

Is this illegal?
There is a couple of fraudsters living on the Costa del Sol who have been using my name for their own nefarious purposes. Weird, huh?
Just type in www.lenoxnapier.com
or www.lenoxnapier.net
or www.lenoxnapier.es
or www.lenoxnapier.org
or anything of fourteen different versions of my name (and some more of my webpage www.theentertaineronline.com, such as 'net' for 'com') and you are thrown onto their pages.
Anyone know - can you just register somebody else' name as your own domain?
lenox

Re: Cyber Squatting

Postby UnHab on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:42 am

Shady. Those pictures of them are kind of scary too.

Check out what this whois search pulls up (if you haven't already).

I have no idea how cybersquatting works. But it certainly looks like they have some sort of beef against you.

I pulled this up from wikipedia:

Some countries have specific laws against cybersquatting beyond the normal rules of trademark law. The United States, for example, has the U.S. Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) of 1999. While this expansion of the Lanham (Trademark) Act (15 U.S.C.) purports to provide protection against cybersquatting for individuals as well as owners of distinctive Trademarked names, the failure of notable personalities, including rock star Bruce Springsteen and actor Kevin Spacey, to obtain control of their names on the internet indicates the lack of protection afforded to the average businessman or individual.

Jurisdiction is an issue, as shown in the case involving actor Kevin Spacey, in which Judge Gary A. Feess, of the United States District Court of the Central District of California, ruled that Spacey would have to file a complaint in a Canadian court, where the current owner of kevinspacey.com resided. Spacey later won the domain through the National Arbitration Forum.

And this wikipedia article on the anticybersquattting act.
UnHab

Postby lenox on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 pm

Hi - thanks for that.
They run a newspaper on the Costa del Sol which they bought off me years ago - and never paid. So this is 'insult to injury'.
There's a larger story here - the number of 'Europeans' (or 'guiris') who live here, yet without much social framework, or peer pressure, or protection or even 'champions'. Having to rely on Spanish law, justice and society doesn't necessarily fit very well.
lenox

Postby lenox on Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:22 am

I had to go to court about these people this week. First time I've had to declare in front of a judge. Took two hours and went well, I think. However, since there are apparently over a million court-cases in the works here in Andalucía, it might take a while before the next instalment.
lenox

Return to Scams in the rest of Spain