Carnation Scam in Plaza Mayor (Madrid)

Scammed somewhere else in Spain? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Carnation Scam in Plaza Mayor (Madrid)

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Contributed by Sarah Hilton:

I was in Madrid this Summer and was approached in the Plaza Mayor by two Gitanas who said they were selling carnations for a festival which was taking place that afternoon. Apparently to attend the festival you REALLY needed one of these carnations and they offered to sell them to us for English coins. This sounded a little bizzarre but I gave her a couple of English coins in exchange for this carnation. I looked round to see the other Gitana rummaging through my friend's purse (as she protested) looking for english coins. My friend gave her some english money and we went on our way. Surprise, surprise, there was no festival and my friend discovered that a 5000 peseta note was missing later on in the day. Also, in Seville, we were approached by another gitana who offered to tell our fortunes. She then grabs onto your hand so tight that you can't get away, tells you a lame account of your future, (you will have two children and marry a tall, rich man, etc) and then demands 2000 pesetas. She then got quite offensive when we said she could have 200 pesetas and like it, shouting and screaming and the like. This also happened in Cordoba and Granada but luckily we were a bit more wise to it by then.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Re: Carnation Scam in Plaza Mayor (Madrid)

Postby Jonathon on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:24 pm

I always try to keep a distance of a couple feet between them and me. That way they can't distract you by grabbing your hand or wrist with one hand while the other tries to swipe from you. I pretty much heed this advice wherever I travel because their number one objective is to get as close to the victim as possible to make it easier to steal their money or belongings.
Jonathon

Postby jpubmail on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:06 am

in this situation its difficult if your on a crowd. be aware of your body. include the every movement of all around you. its tough though , it would never happen if we could stay away in a distant
jpubmail

Postby Shadab Kamal on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:33 am

This is very nice post thanks a lot...!!!

Return to Scams in the rest of Spain