Pamplonan Scamsters

Scammed somewhere else in Spain? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Pamplonan Scamsters

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Contributed by Dean:

Hi, I recently spent a while in Pamplona for the San Fermin festival and flew in via Barcelona and spent a couple of nights sleeping under the stars. The first night was spent outside the train station with a lot of other backpacker types, I am 30 now and when I was 17 and 18 spent time travelling round europe and so have seen more than a few scams and I am embarrassed to admit that I fell for the pea under a walnut scam in Berlin. By about 2am the usual types had arrived at the station, groups of men being loud and trying to intimidate the backpackers sleeping there. I twice woke to see the people either side of me being accosted by them, and later found that they had had money/valuables taken, I was lucky and prepared. The key I think is to look like you are not going to be intimidated, I had a two foot length of hose pipe which I kept in my hand. In all instances I have seen the scamsters will leave if they think they are going to get a hard time and move onto an easier victim. Its a way of life for a lot of them and they make and easy living from it, the police just don't care, so its up to individuals to prepare. Having said that Spain is a great place and I'll be going back again. Wonderful site, next time I'm in Barcelona I will be spending a few hours people watching and trying to spot the scams going down.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Scams in the rest of Spain