Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - ATM Scam in Sitges

ATM Scam in Sitges

Scammed somewhere else in Spain? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

ATM Scam in Sitges

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Contributed by Debbie Tinsley:

A great site, and certainly worth reading before a trip to BCN. I've been several times, and only been the victim of an attempted handbag snatch (I chased him off with by shouting loudly) once.

I wondered if you'd heard of a scam which caught a friend of mine in Sitges last year?

A slim plastic pocket is placed in the slot of an ATM - of course when the next person puts in their card, it doesn't work and can't be ejected from the slot - you think it's been swallowed.

A helpful spanish speaking person is on hand with a mobile phone. He kindly phones the helpline number on the ATM for you (but of course it's not really the helpline, it's his friend round the corner).

He gives you the phone so that you can talk to the 'ATM helpline'. They then ask you for all your details, including your PIN number and when your helpful Spanish friend goes with you to report the incident to the Spanish police, his accomplice comes and fishes out the plastic pocket, containing your cash card.

How clever is that? My friend's account was emptied in a matter of hours.

I've also heard of this happening in London.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Scams in the rest of Spain