Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Trying to Out-con the Con Artist ... uh uh (Naples)

Trying to Out-con the Con Artist ... uh uh (Naples)

Wherever you are, wherever it happened, share your scam story here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Trying to Out-con the Con Artist ... uh uh (Naples)

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Contributed by Krissy:

[Note: The following actually took place in Naples... Terry.]

Wow, it's surprising that there is a page on scams in "Barcelona"! I guess it's because it's a big city or something.

Also I'm surprized I didn't find a camera/videocamera scam, as I thought it was pretty popular.

Ok, here it is: As we walked down a street some guy on a scooter drove up to us and said something in either Spanish or broken English. He had a video-camera in his hands and was handing it to us. My friend thought he wanted us to take a picture of him, so he tried doing that. The guy repeated what turned out to be "I want to sell it to you" with a heavy accent, yet I understood it this time, but friend still didn't. Finally I told my friend that the guy wants to sell the camera to us. Also, the guy was on a SCOOTER (immediately a red red flag for me), but my friend again (after being scammed already before in Ukraine -- another story) was still in his adventurous spirit I guess. Later he told me he was being cautious, yet never expected what happened. The guy had a bag, in the bad he showed us the video-camera he had, there was also a small Sony camera, the one that fits on a palm of your hand. He also showed us wires for the camera and documentation he had in the bad. The guy wanted 300e (Euros). We barganed that we'll give only 100e. The guy said 300e again, we said no and kept walking. Friend constructed an idea that the guy stole the cameras from somebody else and was trying to get rid of them. (later we thought about this more and we don't think he stole the cameras, as where would you steal a camera WITH wires AND documentation still in plastic bags ?).

Anyway, after this there was a process of barganing, that went like this.. bargain bargain, we disagree on the price and then me and my friend keep walking. The guy kept calling us back, saying he'd sell it for 200e, then 150e. Friend offered 120e for the whole bad with the cameras in them. Again, no and we keep walking. Finally the guy agreed, and before he handed us the bag, he showed us the small Sony camera IN the bag. He zipped the bag up (the camera bag) and then put a blue plastic grocery-like bag over the camera bad (???), and tied the blue bag VERY VERRRY tightly(???), I could see him strain while doing that.

My friend handed him 120e and we took off, and the guy took off. During all the times we were walking away from the guy we were talking back and force. I was saying it's a scam, you don't need that camera, we already HAVE one. Why do you need it? My friend kept promoting the idea that it was a stolen camera and the guy is just trying to get rid of it.

Anyway by the time we were done with the deal and the guy took off we had a pretty good idea that we may have been scammed again. We were laughing about it. However, my friend sais that he SAW the small Sony camera in the bag before it was zipped up, and if that's all he was getting he'd be satisfied. Okay, we decided to check. We couldn't open the blue bag, as it was tied SOO tightly. Finally, I just ripped it open, then unzipped the camera bag. Guess what ? Inside there was a bag of sand, and a big wad of folded up newspaper. Nothing else what so ever. Taken again. I wasn't really surprized, I guess I already accepted the possibility that we'd be and were taken, and seeing it was just a confirmation of that fact.

My friend, however was somewhat surprised. He said he expected to see the small Sony camera in there, but it wasn't.

Apparently the guy switched the whole bag on us during one of those times when we kept walking away from him while bargaining. And then he showed us the small camera (Sony U20 kind -- fits in your palm), he put the camera in the bag, and then apparently palmed it and pulled it out. Otherwise, how would it NOT be in the bag ? So that's it.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to World Wide Scams