Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Shoved on a Subway Car in Mexico City

Shoved on a Subway Car in Mexico City

Wherever you are, wherever it happened, share your scam story here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Shoved on a Subway Car in Mexico City

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Contributed by wunderl:

Your scam experience near the Olympic Stadiumwas significant to me because I had the very same happening on my visit to the Stadium. I believed it to be a possible scam but since I was successful in watching my possessions none were relieved from me and I chalked the deed as a kindness offered to a visiting tourist. I was amused and enlightened to read of your experience and the confirmation that it was indeed a scam. The male that attempted the scam in my case was oriental, about twenty and had plenty of napkins to help me wipe a brownish liquid from my jacket. There was plenty to remove. I hope others read of these experiences and avoid them.

While I'm at this let me tell you of another scam that happened in Mexico City. It was the first day of our arrival and my wife and I wanted to go to the stadium to obtain tickets for the Sunday bull fight. We decided to take the Metro and were astonished to see the numbers of people in a snaked queue waiting for the train to arrive. When we were boarding along with a large mass attempting to fit through the open doorway of the train, I was pushed rather hard from my right side and stumbled half way to the floor. I picked myself up and immediately reached to my side pocket that contained my wallet loaded with all of our money since I hadn't taken my usual steps of protection nor those that I always take of never placing my wallet in my pants pocket. I panicked when I did not feel my wallet and I immediately looked at the men standing around me. None looked guilty. I turned and looked at the platform adjacent to the open doors and saw a young girl with a severe scar on her face and a sweater bundled in her hands as though it were a muff. I grabbed for the sweater and a young boy jumped from the train onto the platform at the same time. The metro doors closed and I felt all was lost but looking down on the floor my wallet had appeared. I picked it up safe and sound and was intensely relieved, as you can imagine.

I put the scam together later. The young boy had pushed me as I entered the doors and picked my pocket as I fell. He transferred it to the girl standing on the platform and was ready to get off the train immediately. My wife had held the door from closing delaying the train for just a moment but long enough for me to grab the sweater at which time the girl simply threw the wallet at my feet. I feel I must have sensed or perhaps even seen the wallet being thrown back which led me to look on the floor again. I also simply was aware that many pick pockets work in pairs and this young female accomplice looked the part of a toughy to say the least. My rush in not preparing properly as a tourist lead almost to a disastrous outcome that would have cut into any enjoyment I might subsequently have in Mexico. I might add one more bit: this scam took no longer than a few seconds to complete. The skill and swiftness I witnessed was amazing. In a way I had to admire the two and mused at the thought that if they had succeeded they could have waved goodbye to me with my own wallet as the doors closed and the Metro rolled. I think reading about scams earlier in my background indeed set my thinking and quick reaction so I felt obligated to add to your interesting experiences in hope that it may be helpful to others.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to World Wide Scams