Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Don't Hold that Cute Baby - a Cruel Greek Scam

Don't Hold that Cute Baby - a Cruel Greek Scam

Wherever you are, wherever it happened, share your scam story here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Don't Hold that Cute Baby - a Cruel Greek Scam

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Contributed by Michael Tsoukias:

The most outrageous scam I ever heard of was attempted on my mother who lives in Greece. After the collapse of the Soviet bloc, Greece received a very large number of migrants and refugees from Albania. Due to the nature of their former regime, many of these people had no qualifications and could do only unskilled labor or petty crime. They account for over 90% of all crime in Greece for the past ten years.

My mother (then aged about 70) was approached in the street by a man who emerged from a pickup holding a baby. He held out the baby to her and said: "Can you hold on to this baby for me a moment while I go into this shop for something? You look like a good-hearted person, I can't leave it alone in the car."

My mother, an incredibly good-hearted person, actually reached for the infant but suddenly noticed two other people in the car.

"Why don't you leave the baby with them?"
"No, you hold the baby, here, take it."

There was some push and shove as my mother realized there was something quite wrong with all this, she stepped away as quickly as possible, with the man following and shouting at her. She immediately took the story to the police station around the corner. The scam turned out to be as follows: The man (or other times, a woman) "gives" the baby to the unsuspecting good hearted passer-by, then vanishes. A moment later a woman appears, screaming that her baby has been stolen, and there it is in the hands of this person, an obvious kidnapper. The distraught mother is always accompanied by two others who are "witnesses" and "saw everything". In my mother's case they were the ones sitting in the car. The only way out is to pay them off, because it is not possible for a normal person to simply put the baby down and move off.

This particularly cruel scam has been operating for years, and the police are quite familiar with it. If it is attempted on you, act sensibly. Do not hold on to a total stranger's baby, no matter how cute, without a real and unmistakable emergency.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to World Wide Scams