Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Napolitano Scooter-Snatchers Make Off with a Tooth

Napolitano Scooter-Snatchers Make Off with a Tooth

Wherever you are, wherever it happened, share your scam story here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Napolitano Scooter-Snatchers Make Off with a Tooth

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Contributed by Paige Strait:

I loved reading your web site. I am off to Barcelona in a few weeks and I hope it keeps me and my Mom out of trouble. But I just wanted to say, this will be my third trip to Spain and I just love the place. I have wandered all over, usually by myself (female traveling alone) and never had a problem. The people are warm and friendly and I never felt unsafe. Then again, I don't feel unsafe in my husband's neighborhood of Spanish Harlem New York! Again, having lived in New York, Paris and done a good bit of traveling, I have a good internal alarm system. Unfortunately, my personal system was not fast enough to protect a friend in Italy.

A girlfriend and I were in Naples some 10 years ago (I feel old now). Having been warned of the street crime, I carried all of my belongings close to my body. My friend was not so wise. She had most of her things in a backpack, however, she was carrying a small bag, which contained only toiletries, with the strap wrapped around her wrist (really bad idea). A very well dressed boy on a motor scooter approached us as we were looking for our hotel. He passed us but we heard him turn around in the street behind us. As I turned around to warn her not to talk to him, she screamed. He had grabbed the bag and accelerated off down the street. My friend could not untangle her wrist from the bag and was drug about 25 feet. A crown on her front tooth was knocked out and she received a few bumps and bruises. We laugh hysterically at what transpired next. Of course it was not so funny when it happened.

Cindy (my friend) started screaming "HE STOLE MY TOOTH!!" (with a lisp caused by the missing tooth!) no one would help us (I am sure we looked like maniacs!) and we do not speak Italian! We finally found an open bar, where we proceed to try to explain to the bar maid what happened in really bad French. We think the pub owner misunderstood, because when police did arrive and we got to the hospital, the doctors kept trying to take Cindy's cloths off! Add a nun who was yelling at the doctors in Italian to Cindy trying to keep her clothes on and my hysterical crying, and it was like something out of a bad movie! Finally, a police officer that spoke English showed up. To keep a long story short, we managed to get onto the NATO base to see and American Naval dentist, who fixed Cindy's tooth, fed us dinner and let us sleep on his floor! He was a wonderful man, I wish I could remember his name because I could never thank him enough.

It was scary then, but it makes a great travel story now!
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to World Wide Scams