Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Scams in Italy from the Good Ol' Days

Scams in Italy from the Good Ol' Days

Wherever you are, wherever it happened, share your scam story here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Scams in Italy from the Good Ol' Days

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 pm

Contributed by Russ Palmeri:

I'm not planning to go to Barcelona, but my nephew is moving there for his third year of college. I sent him your URL!

My wife and I took a tour of Italy while I was a third-year medical student. We were not very well off, and stayed in the cheapest pensiones you could imagine. One of our favorite places was Naples, where we stayed near the train statione- later to find the guidebooks advised not tarrying in that "bad" neighborhood for a minute. We stayed three days, and despite the fact that some of the others in our pensione looked like "professional" ladies, never had a problem.

Except when we went to the fancy part of town to a very nice park. We weren't there for ten minutes when two very young boys on a motorscooter whipped by and grabbed my wife's camera from my shoulder and were GONE! I gave chase, but couldn't catch them.

My favorite scam, by far, is what happened to us when we tried to find a bus to Pompeii. A man in the metro station told us we couldn't take a bus or train there, we had to take a taxi. Fortunately, his friend would be HAPPY to take us for only $50 American. At the time, $50 was about three day's expenses. It didn't seem right to me that you couldn't take public transportation from Naples to Pompeii, so I asked a uniformed guide at the metro. No, he assured me, there were no busses or trains. He did know someone, however, who'd be delighted to take us there for ... yep- $50 American. Now remember, this was a uniformed guide for the city in the metro.

I looked over his shoulder, and THERE WAS THE BUS TO POMPEII!! I pointed to it, and the guide just shrugged and smiled.

Still, I loved Italy and would love to go back. I feel I'll be much better armed after reading your website.
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to World Wide Scams