Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Fake Irishman in Distress ... or?

Fake Irishman in Distress ... or?

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Fake Irishman in Distress ... or?

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 pm

Contributed by Freek Hol:

First off, I really think this is one of the most useful sites on the net when planning a trip to Barcelona. Thanks for that. I've been to Barcelona a few times now and over the years I've never been robbed, mugged or scammed (at least not that I know of and considering I never lost anything I might be just right about that). Anyhow, reading all the intruiging stories I scanned through my memories to see if I had ever been in such a situation. And guess what, I think I have been!

I'm not really sure if this really was some sort of scam because the person involved was very convincing and he didn't look like the thiefs described by you. But hey, maybe foreigners pick on foreigners too!!

Anyway, me and my girlfriend were on the last day of our stay and were headed towards the airport. At Cataluña station we had to make the change from metro to train, but since we had never done that before, we were searching for a way to get to the center platform (where the trains stop and go). A man probably saw us wandering around and approached us. I saw him coming so there was no surprise. He wasn't very tall, had some sort of backpack and spoke the English language with a bit of an irish accent (I think). He looked a lot like that guy from the Blackadder, Baldrick, but a bit more modern. He offered to help us out and showed us where to buy the train tickets and how to get to the center platform. I thanked him and was about to be on my way but then he asked us for a favour.

He told us he was on the train too and that they stole his bag by cutting the straps with a knive while he was sleeping. All his stuff, including his flightticket, was in that bag so he asked us for some money for his flight home. Since I didn't have any change (just bougth me some tickets remember!) I had to disappoint him. He didn't follow us or anything and he was very polite, even when we didn't give him anything, but he immediately turned his attention to the station hall. Afterwards I found it a very strange story because he was carrying a backpack. Why didn't they steal that too? He was asleep after all.

Well, that's my story. Like I said, it could be a scam, but than again it could be just an irishmen trying to get home. Just thought I'd let you know in case someone else has had the same experience (I didn't read all the stories so I don't know if something like this one has been submitted).

[Yep, sounds like a scam to me... Terry.]
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams