Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/content/53/2133753/html/kovakspi/phpbb/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 990: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Kovaks Street Scam Forums • View topic - Lost & Flustered Person Scam

Lost & Flustered Person Scam

Scammed in Barcelona? Share your stories here.

Moderators: UnHab, terrycojones, lenox

Lost & Flustered Person Scam

Postby KOVAKS on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Contributed by Scott Torrance:

I studied Landscape Architecture in Barcelona for two months in 1994 and witnessed more of these kinds of crimes than anywhere in Europe. The first day my Prof. arrived from Toronto, he had the "Sorry about spilling that mustard all over your shirt trick!".

The morning after the first night I arrived in Barcelona I was sketching along the Moll de la Fusta. As it was a work day in October, not many people were around. All of a sudden, out of nowhere (and I could see a great distance in all directions where I was) a guy comes up to me anxiously asking directions to a landmark that was vaguely familiar sounding. Being extremely naïve and wanting to help I pulled out my map and pointed to what he was asking about (remember this was my first morning in Barcelona and I had not heard about the petty crime). As soon as I would point to the place he was asking about in his broken whatever language, he would become more frantic and then point to something else. After about the third instance of this (mere seconds) warning bells went off and I thought of my daypack sitting on the ground behind me containing my camera! I quickly turned around to see another guy crouching beside my day pack. I quickly grabbed it, looked really pissed off and yelled something. Just like they had arrived, they vanished in seconds (once again, not an easy feat on a deserted Moll de la Fusta). Miraculously, I didn't lose a single thing.

I loved your description of the typical thief because thy do all look the same!!! The only thing you didn't mention is that if they're not in a tired old sport coat, they're wearing those weird nylon gym suit things!
KOVAKS
Site Admin

Return to Barcelona Scams